Friday, May 3, 2013

Material 3 Favorite Artist



The Book of Kells was what I found most interesting. It is one the most complex of the illuminated manuscript. It contains some the most beautiful and complex patterns with interlocking knots and a wide range of colors. You are able to see the influence of Hiberno-Scottish or Anglo-Saxon in the piece, with the presence of animal-styled figures and Celtic knots. I always imagine how they thought of the patterns in the book. Did they get the ideas from nature, or was it completely manifested from thought? It also holds some the earliest depictions of religious figure such the Virgin Mary. I always found interest in how the Book of Kells depiction of the Virgin Mary evolved into modern day depictions.  The Book was believed to be created on the island of Iona, and later transferred to Ireland for safety from Viking raids. It was later stolen. The Book was recovered at a later time. The page had slight water damage and the cover had been torn off, but the book was kept alive. I always wondered how it survived all the travels and where it was taken when it was stolen. The making the Book of Kells was a long and careful process that took great skill. I took interest in the process and amount of effort it took to complete it. In short, the Book of Kells not only interested me, but it inspired me.

No comments:

Post a Comment