Thursday, February 7, 2013

Material 1 Favorite Art




My favorite piece was stone hedge. Many mysteries lie within it. I love the attention to detail in the placement of the structures, and how they line with the sun at different times of the year. It amazes me how such large materials were able to be moved around with such primitive technology. Most of the material was moved from areas far away. Everything is aligned in a perfect circle, and there is such good symmetry and balance in the overall structure. I also love how it corresponds with the Durrington Wall structures. Everything is so symbolic. Even the materials being used are symbolic. Stone is used to represent the afterlife. Many questions arise from these structures. Such as what kind of spiritual events took place there .I try to imagine the type of ceremonies the people who built it had and what kind of people they were. I also wonder how they got the materials over there, and how long did it take them. I try to picture myself coming up with an idea like that and think of what kind of tools I would use to build it if I was very limited on resources and technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment