Thursday, March 7, 2013

Material 2 Art Influence



The art that really influenced me was Greek and Roman architecture. Their designs with temples and sanctuaries were really enlightening.  I want to become a 3D Modeler for digital applications, and the things I learned from studying the Greeks and Romans was not only informative, but inspiring. The way that they would bulge the columns at the bottom to create a greater sense of illusion, the way they used perfect equations to make structures more pleasing to the eye, and the way that they directed the viewers eye to specific points was incredible to say the least. I have used these techniques in my digital models to get more pleasing results. For example, I will set up views in my scene that showcases the entire structure. I will also follow guidelines to Doric and Ionic order when I am creating temples. It is almost funny how much Greek and Roman architecture influences us today, just look at Washington D.C. The Capital building is built up with giant columns with detailed capitals and strong bases. The dome on the top resembles similar architecture in Rome like the Pantheon. The Supreme Court building has tall columns holding up pediments that contain detailed relief sculptures. All these building look very similar to these earlier Greek and Roman building styles. It is easy to see how these historical buildings can inspire other nations. I think it is important that we all take from the styles and movements of the past.  

No comments:

Post a Comment