Thursday, March 7, 2013

Material 2 Favorite Art



The piece that I felt was most appealing was “Commodus As Hercules”. There were several reasons why I thought that this piece was very interesting. First was the technical approach the artist took. This sculpture looks so real. There is a wide range of textures being showcased in this piece creating a high level of interest that moves my eyes around the sculpture. Going from the softness of his flesh to the contours out of the pelt, it is hard to believe that this is all the same material. Another thing that interested me was emotions conveyed in this piece.  The relaxed, yet confident gesture of Commodus really told me a lot about what kind of person he was. I just find it interesting that in most portraiture in the classical periods did not reflect the subject’s personality. But when you moved into the High Imperial period, I really start to see a sense of individuality. There is also this kind of comedic value to this piece. I really got a sense that Commodus was full of himself. I could tell just by his expression on his face and the way he was being portrayed has the great Hercules. It is almost kind of funny, because there is a great deal of people in life whom I could relate him to.  Overall, I find that not only the technical aspect of this piece is amazing, but also the emotion and personality that this piece expresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment